This Week on the Outer Banks | June 19, 2020 - June 26, 2020
June 19th - June 26th, 2020
Happy Juneteenth! Juneteenth marks June 19th as a day that commemorates total freedom from slave trade in the United States when enslaved African-Americans in Texas were finally informed of the Emancipation Proclamation and that the Civil War had ended over two years prior. Juneteenth has been celebrated for over 150 years, initially by the more than 250,000 enslaved African-Americans who were still untold of their independence and now with celebrations, education, family gatherings and reflections for the improvement of the future.
To learn more about Juneteenth, visit www.juneteenth.com and donate below.
- Dare County Minority Coalition
- End Slavery Now
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
It looks like the next few days will be full of off-and-on rain and shine, but if you frequent the Outer Banks, you'll know that the weather here is basically unpredictable! Don't let a forecast stop you from heading to the beach, but, bring an umbrella just in case!
As North Carolina moved into Phase 2 of reopening, restaurants were granted permission to re-open for dine in services at 50% capacity. It is still recommended that tables are distanced and that no more than six people should sit at a table unless they are a family from the same household. Make sure to call before dining out to make sure that the restaurant you are going to is allowing dine-in customers. Take-out and delivery services are also still offered. You can find a list of caterers and restaurants in the area here.
Jockey’s Ridge Crossing will be hosting the Annual Sunset Festival this year running from June 8th to August 21st. Make it a fun trip to Jockeys Ridge Crossing to experience their nightly events, shopping, sweet treats, and walk up the sand dunes to experience the serene sunsets. The Outer Banks has one of the best places to view the evening Sunset on Jockeys Ridge Sand Dunes. Stop by the Kitty Hawk Kites store to pick up a kite to fly while watching the sunset.
- Check out the Under the Tent live performances at NC Coast Grill & Bar in Duck. The shows run weekly at 6 p.m. Steve Hauser will be playing there next Thursday, June 25th at 7 p.m.
- Kim Kalman performs on the patio at The Froggy Dog Restaurant & Pub every Wednesday and Friday from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. and on Sundays from 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Muse Originals Mobile OBX Market will be parked outside of Rundown Cafe in Kitty Hawk every:
- Thursday from 12 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday from 3 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Sunday from 12 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Graham Outten Music will be playing at Outer Banks Brewing Station on Sunday, June 21st from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Paul Urban & Friends will be at Sanctuary Vineyards next Saturday, June 27th from noon until 3 p.m.
- Kitty Hawk
- Downtown Manteo
- Kill Devil Hills
- Jennette's Pier
The pier will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Ticketing will be outside and all interactive exhibits, the Pier Shop, the Public Bathhouse, the Surfside Classroom and Oceanview Hall will be closed.